Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Day 19 - Still no sign of my friends....

by: Ben

This morning I woke up with a banging headache. I mostly sipped coffee for breakfast from the hotel lobby. I mentioned to the guy working at the desk that I was missing my friends, so he took a note from me for them in case they asked at the desk instead of checking the room.

I again headed up to the room, cleaned myself up, and left another note. I was skeptical about leaving more cash in the room, in case the hotel staff were to come in and take it. I stuck another 200 in euros in Allison's suitcase, hoping she'd find it if she came back to the room and changed clothes.

I then headed out to take a bus tour of the city. For $28, I was able to travel on a double-decker bus and have a 3 hour tour of some of the sights. Mostly, I spent the time scouting the streets looking for my friends, and scouting for a place to buy some toiletries and trinkets.


After the bus tour, I took the 1/2 hour walk back to the hotel. Still no sign of my travel group. The note was missing, and the money was gone from Allison's suitcase. I could tell that someone had been in the room, because the towels were all wet and piled on the floor, so my group had been here. Why they hadn't left a note for me was puzzling. I guess they were satisfied with the allowance that I was giving them, and were uninterested in including me in their travels. I'm sure that they'll be posting their own adventures to the blog!

I put another 200 euros in Allison's suitcase, and headed back out to find some food. As I was wandering around, I noticed a pretty young lady that was walking by herself, that seemed to be shadowing me. When I went inside a trendy clothing shop, she followed. I caught her eye in one of the aisles, and gave her a polite "hello gorgeous!" Luckily for me, she was also American, so we struck up a conversation, and decided to have dinner together. We went to the Osteria del Gallo, a classy haven, just off the Piazza Navona. We had fresh pasta, gnocchi, and split a couple bottles of red wine. We exchanged stories, and I assume she thought I was sketchy due to my story about my travel buddies being missing. Even so, she allowed me to walk her back to her hotel. Although she didn't invite me up, we made plans to meet up again for lunch the following day at the train station, and to travel to Naples by train if my group was still missing.

I went back to the room excited to have made a new friend. Eager to tell my travel buddies about my adventure, I was disappointed when they were again missing in action! maybe they'll come back again by morning!

by: Ben

Funds spent today: $28, 150 Euros, 400 euros to group (rest of group has 928.90 euros)
Remaining Budget: $83180.28
Cash in Euros: 795

No comments:

Post a Comment